Last updated June 24, 2018
Disclosure: Barrel House Cooker sponsored this post. Opinions are my own.
Steam rice on the grill alongside charcoal-kissed smoked salmon with a sweet Asian glaze.
There are a variety of accessories available for the Barrel House Cooker, including a cedar plank. When soaked in water before using, the plank imparts a subtle woodsy flavor to your seafood while it’s smoking. It’s also small enough, that there is still enough room on the smoker for a small pot to steam up some rice. Just be sure that your pot and lid are oven proof.
For this recipe, I placed both the entree and side on the center rack.
To accompany the finger-licking Asian glaze that gets brushed across the smoked salmon, add a teaspoon of sesame oil to your rice pot. It really takes it to the next level.
Barrel House Cooker Smoked Salmon with Asian Glaze
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsps sesame oil
- 4 6-ounce salmon filets
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
Sesame Sticky Rice
- 1 cup short grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Green onions
- Sesame seeds
Soak the Barrel House Cooker cedar plank in water for at least one hour
- Place the brown sugar, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, water and 2 teaspoons sesame oil in a sauce pot. Cook on the stove over medium heat for about 15 minutes, until it reaches the consistency of maple syrup. Pour half of the glaze into a small bowl and set aside.
Light the Barrel House Cooker, following manufacturer's directions. Add the full grill grate to the center position in the cooker.
- Drizzle olive oil onto both sides of the salmon filets. Season with salt and pepper. Place the filets on the cedar plank and brush with glaze. Place the plank on the grill grate in the cooker.
- Place rice, water, 1 teaspoon sesame oil and salt in a small oven-proof pot with a lid. Place the covered pot on the grill grate next to the salmon.
- Close the cooker lid and smoke for 30 minutes. Open the lid and brush with more glaze. Smoke 10 more minutes.
- To serve, spoon the rice onto plates. Top with salmon and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds. Drizzle with the reserved glaze.
Internal temperature of the fish should be 145 degrees.
You can reuse the cedar plank a few times. Just wash it with soap and water.