By Christie Vanover | Published December 8, 2018 | Last Updated March 20, 2020
Brown sugar bacon gets even better when you add spicy mustard hot sauce to the glaze. The smoky treat melts in your mouth as you crack through the sweet, spicy shell.
Brown sugar bacon is one of those delicious treats that are hard to stop eating.
Usually, it’s made with brown sugar and chili powder. Sometimes people add maple syrup or honey, too.
This recipe is just as easy, but instead of chili powder, I use my favorite hot sauce for pork – Moore’s Spicy Mustard Hot Sauce.
It has notes of mustard, vinegar, cayenne, sugar and black pepper.
The hot sauce gets combined in a bowl with a half cup of brown sugar. I prefer dark brown sugar, because it has more molasses.
Zap it in the microwave for about 30 seconds. This will thin the glaze out so it’s easier to spread.
Brush the sweet spicy glaze on each side, and place it on a baking rack.
Next, it’s time for a kiss of smoke. If you’re using a pellet grill, set the temp to 300F degrees, and be sure to line the pan under the grate with foil, because this cook is messy.
If you’re using a gas or charcoal grill, be sure to cook over indirect heat (the side without coals or the burners on).
Both cherry and pecan woods balance nicely with the spicy mustard hot sauce.
Smoke for about 30 minutes. It will be a little pliable, but that’s okay. As the glaze cools, it hardens into sweet, spicy, salty, smoky candy that melts in your mouth.
Smoked Spicy Mustard Brown Sugar Bacon
- 1 lb bacon
- 2 tbsp Moore's Spicy Mustard Hot Sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Heat smoker to 300F degrees with indirect heat.
- Combine the brown sugar and hot sauce in a bow Microwave for 30 seconds to thin.
- Place the bacon on a rack in a single layer.
- Brush the spicy honey mustard brown sugar on both sides of the bacon.
- Place the rack in the smoker, and smoke for 30-40 minutes, depending on the thickness of the bacon. The bacon will still be pliable, but will harden as it cools.
This estimate was created using an online nutrition calculator