Last updated February 4, 2018
Grilled turkey burgers don’t have to be boring or dry. To make them juicy, start with ground dark meat. Then add charred Anaheim peppers and avocado salsa to pack them with flavor.
The dark meat is the most flavorful part of the bird. This is the meat you’ll find on the drumsticks and thighs. Combine the meat with roasted Anaheim peppers, red onion and herbs and spices. The peppers and onions will release extra juices into the meat while the patty cooks. Be sure to cook the meat all the way through to at least 165F degrees. Since we’re using turkey, medium rare is not a safe cooking temp.
For more barbecue taste and depth, add a few wood chips to the grill. Hickory and apple go well with this flavor profile.
Grilled Anaheim Turkey Burger
- 1 Anaheim pepper
- 1 lb ground dark meat turkey
- 2 tbsp red onion chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 4 toasted buns
- 4 tomato slices
- 6 slices cooked bacon
- Avocado salsa
- Heat the grill to high. Place the Anaheim pepper over direct heat and grill about 5 minutes per side, until charred. Remove from grill. Place in a plastic bag. Let it sweat for 5 minutes. Remove from the bag, scrape off the skin and remove the stem and seeds. Chop.
- Place the pepper, turkey, red onion, cilantro, salt and cumin into a bowl, and mix well with your hands.
- Divide into four portions and shape into patties. Freeze for 30 minutes to help firm up the patties.
- Grill over high heat for 10 minutes. Flip. Grill 5 minutes until cooked through. Top with a slice of cheese and grill until melted.
- To assemble: Smear the tops and bottoms of each bun with avocado salsa. Place a patty on the bottom bun. Top with a tomato slice and three halves of bacon. Add the top bun and serve.