Last updated December 8, 2017
Flavor has no boundaries when you combine Asian marinated tender Aussie grassfed beef with pickled carrots and sriracha mayo to create this grilled beef banh mi sandwich.
Unlike flank and skirt steaks, the flat iron cut comes from the shoulder of the cow, instead of the belly. You’re probably familiar with chuck beef. It’s most popularly used in burgers. The flat iron comes from this same area.
The Aussie grassfed beef flat iron that I used for this recipe is a leaner cut with gentle marbling. When combined with my banh mi marinade, it’s super tender, making it perfect for sandwiches or tacos.
Grilled Aussie Grassfed Beef Banh Mi Sandwich
- 1 1/2 pounds Aussie grassfed beef flat iron steak
Marinade + Sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 2 tsps sesame oil
- 2 tsps vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 6 baguette rolls
- Sriracha mayo
- Pickled carrots
- Cucumber slices
- Cilantro leaves
- Jalapeno or Fresno pepper slices
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 carrot julienned
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp sriracha
- pinch of salt
- In a medium bowl, combine the water, sugar, ketchup, hoisin, vinegar, soy sauce, chili sauce, sesame oil, vegetable oil, garlic and red pepper flakes. Pour half of it in a zip-top bag. Save the other half for later.
- Place the beef in the bag. Massage, seal and refrigerate for at least 6 hours. Make the pickled carrots and sriracha mayo (below).
- Just before grilling the meat, place the reserved marinade in a saucepot. Heat over medium heat until it thickens.
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Grill steak for 5 minutes.
- Flip. Brush with the thickened sauce. Grill 3 more minutes. Flip and coat with more sauce. Grill 2 more minutes.
- Remove from grill. Let rest 5-10 minutes. Slice against the grain.
- Heat the water, vinegar, sugar and salt in small saucepot. Remove from heat. Add the carrots and let steep 30 minutes. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Combine ingredients in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Spread sriracha mayo on the baguettes. Top with sliced beef, pickled carrots, cucumber slices, cilantro leaves and pepper slices.