Last updated November 23, 2018
Vegetables shouldn’t be boring. This bacon-weaved Brussels sprouts stalk will get you more oohs and aahs than your holiday turkey.
For years, Brussels sprouts had a bad reputation. That was until everyone started fusing them with bacon.
Everything goes better with bacon, and sprouts are no different.
Sure you can saute them in a skillet, but you’ve come to Girls Can Grill because you prefer to go big or go home. And I’m here to help.
First thing you’ve got to do is find Brussels sprouts on a stalk. This is actually how these little balls of cruciferous-like cabbages grow.
I can usually find them at Whole Foods or Sprouts around the holidays.
Next grab some of your favorite bacon (homemade bacon is always a bonus), and slice the strips in half vertically.
Thinly slice half a lemon and peel a bunch of cloves of garlic.
Drizzle the stalk with oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Be gentle. The sprouts can fall off, if you’re too rough with it.
Tuck the garlic and lemon slices into all the nooks and crannies. Then, weave the bacon strips into every crevice you can find.
Depending on the spacing between the sprouts, the bacon may slip out as you rotate the stalk. To prevent this, fill the gap with more garlic or lemon, or secure with toothpicks. Just remove the toothpicks before serving.
Heat the grill or smoker to 375F degrees with indirect heat. After 45 minutes to an hour, the bacon will be crispy and the sprouts will have softened. Finish with a fresh squeeze of lemon.
Grilled Brussels Sprouts Bacon Weave
- 1 stalk Brussels sprouts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon
- 6 strips bacon
Heat the smoker or grill to 375F degrees with indirect heat.
- Drizzle the olive oil, salt and pepper over the entire stalk of sprouts.
- Peel the garlic and slice each clove. Tuck the cloves into the sprouts.
- Cut the lemon in half. Save one half for later. Slice the other half into small slices and tuck into the sprouts.
- Slice the bacon in half vertically. Weave the strips of bacon around the cloves throughout the stalk.
- Place the stalk on the grill and cook for 45 minutes to an hour, until the sprouts are soft.
Squeeze the remaining lemon over the entire stalk.