Last updated September 2, 2018
Try something new this year like Cajun grilled alligator. This mild, juicy white meat is amplified with spices and a classic Mississippi dipping sauce. #YOLO
Alligator is very mild and takes on the flavors of the rubs and sauces you use to marinate it. The fattier portions of the meat have a texture similar to lobster. The leaner portions have a texture similar to juicy pork chops.
My favorite section of the gator, is the tail meat. Like chicken and pork, it cooks up fast over direct heat.
Slice the tail into 1-2-inch pieces and dust with Cajun seasoning and some garlic powder.
Skewer the pieces and grill them over high heat for about five minutes per side.
To finish the dish, whip up a batch of Mississippi Comeback Sauce.
Mississippi Comeback Sauce is a condiment I fell in love with when I lived near Jackson, Mississippi. It’s similar to Thousand Island, but it has more punch because it’s accented with onion, garlic and Cajun seasoning. A few dashes of hot sauce make it even better.
It makes the perfect accompaniment to grilled alligator because the creamy sauce tames the Cajun heat.
I source my alligator from The Butcher Block in Las Vegas. If you can’t find it at your local butcher, my butcher can probably mail you some.
Cajun Grilled Alligator with Comeback Sauce
- 1 lb frozen alligator sirloin, thawed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Code 3 Spices Sea Dog Rub
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp chili sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Code 3 Spices Sea Dog Rub
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- a couple of dashes of hot sauce
- Rinse the alligator, and pat it dry. Cut it into 12-14 equal-sized pieces.
- Rub with olive oil, Sea Dog Rub (or your favorite Cajun seasoning) and garlic powder. Let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes. Heat the grill to high.
- While it's resting, combine the ingredients for the Comeback Sauce. Add as much hot sauce as you like for your taste.
- Skewer the meat, and grill for 5 minutes per side.
- Serve with the sauce.