By Christie Vanover | Published September 19, 2015 | Last Updated January 4, 2023
Start by selecting fresh albacore tuna steaks from your fish monger. I recommend grabbing about three 4-ounce filets.
Give them a quick brine with some oil, pickle juice, salt, pepper and celery salt. These are the flavors you find in tuna salad, so by adding them to the brine, your salad will be flavored on multiple levels.
Place them on the grill over medium-high heat and grill for 6 minutes per side.
After about 12 minutes on the grill, let the fish cool slightly, and then tear the grilled tuna into chunks. Already this is looking better than the canned stuff.
For the salad dressing, combine mayo, mustard and a little acid like lemon juice and vinegar.
Finish it off with some hard-boiled eggs, celery, onion and diced up pickle.
Grilled tuna salad is delicious served on a bed of lettuce or between two slices of bread.
More Salad Recipes
Grilled Tuna Salad
- 12 ozs Albacore tuna steaks
- 2 tbs canola oil
- 1 tbsp dill pickle juice from jar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- 3 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp champagne vinegar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- 1/3 cup celery diced
- 1 pickle spear diced
- 1 tbsp onion minced
- Place the tuna steaks in a zip-top bag. Add 2 tablespoons canola oil, pickle juice, ½ teaspoon salt, pepper and celery salt into the bag. Toss to coat and allow flavors to blend for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Heat the grill to medium-high heat. Place the steaks on the grill. Grill for 6 minutes. Don’t move the steak while it’s cooking. It will sear and easily flip when ready.
- After about 6 minutes, flip and grill for another 6 minutes. Remove from grill and let cool at room temperature.
- In a bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, vinegar and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Break the tuna steaks up with your fingers and add to the mayonnaise mixture. Stir to coat.
- Chop the hard-boiled egg and add to the tuna with the celery, pickle and onion.
- Enjoy on a bed of lettuce or as a sandwich.
This estimate was created using an online nutrition calculator