Last updated January 1, 2018
Create a twist on jerky by using lean pork loin. This smoked sweet tea pork jerky will South your mouth. It’s our new favorite protein-powered snack.
Partially frozen pork loin is easier to slice. If using a fresh loin, freeze it for one hour before slicing. If using a frozen loin, place it in the refrigerator overnight to partially thaw.
I used Smithfield Prime Fresh Pork from Sam’s Club. The loin was about 7 pounds, so I cut it in half and saved the other half for another meal. You can double the recipe if you have the smoker space.
This recipe will make two racks of jerky. If your smoker only has one grate, you can add an upper rack for less than $20.
Smoked Sweet Tea Pork Jerky
- 3-4 lbs. Smithfield boneless center cut pork loin
- 1 1/2 cups sweet tea
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsps kosher salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- Trim excess fat from the loin. Slice it into 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick slices. Place in a zip-top bag.
- In a pitcher or medium bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour into the bag. Seal the bag and massage the marinade into the meat. Refrigerate at least 8 hours.
- Heat the smoker to 180F degrees.
- Remove the pork from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Place in a single layer on a rack. Place the rack on the smoker.
- Smoke for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, until it turns a mahogany color. Store in a sealed container for up to one week.