By Christie Vanover | Published July 2, 2018 | Last Updated February 16, 2023
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Everywhere Agency on behalf of FoodSaver®; however, all thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.
I’ll never forget the moment I had really amazing cream corn. I’m not talking about the stuff out of a can, although I do enjoy that, too. I’m talking weak-in-the-knees, going back for thirds amazing.
A friend took me to a little fried chicken joint in Abilene, Kansas. The corn was cooked in heavy cream and a hint of sugar, allowing each kernel to absorb the rich, buttery sweet fat. I’ve recreated the recipe using the sous vide method of cooking.
– Learn more about sous vide cooking –
The sinfully luxurious ingredients get placed in a FoodSaver® Sous-vide Vacuum Seal Bags. You don’t want to vacuum the ingredients. If you try that, the cream will be sucked out with the air because it’s so light.
Instead, carefully press out as much air as you can with your hands, and place the sous vide bag in your FoodSaver® FM2000 Vacuum Sealing System, and just press the seal button. In about 10 seconds, everything will be locked in the bag tight.
Because the bag is only sealed and not vacuumed, there will be some air inside. This can cause the bag to float. To ensure the bag remains under water during your sous vide cook, fill a mason jar with water, and lay it on top of the bag. The weight will cause the bag to sink.
After 30 minutes, you’re going to want to eat the cream corn straight from the bag, but trust me it gets better. Pour the corn into a skillet and top it with panko, butter and Parmesan. Just before mealtime, heat it on a 400-degree grill or in an oven. The cream will be bubbling and the topping will brown.
Crack through the crust. It’s okay if you go back for thirds.
Sous Vide Cream Corn with Crispy Parmesan
- 5 cobs fresh corn
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsps sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
Crispy Parmesan Topping
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp butter softened
- Fill a large pot with water. Insert your sous vide machine, and set the temperature to 180F degrees.
- Slice the corn kernels off the cob. You should have about 4 cups.
- Place the corn in a gallon-sized sous-vide bag with the cream, 2 tablespoons butter, sugar, salt and white pepper. Seal the bag with the FM2000 system. (Don’t vacuum it, or the cream will come out.)
- Submerge the bag into the preheated pot of water, and cook for 30 minutes. Submerge the bag in cold water for a couple of minutes to stop the cooking process.
- To serve, pour the creamed corn into a skillet. Combine the topping ingredients, and sprinkle over the corn. Bake in a 400-degree oven or grill for 15 minutes, until the topping is brown and toasty.
This estimate was created using an online nutrition calculator
Can you further explain the topping? do i put butter first? than the pank and cheese? whats the order in this?
greetings from the Netherlands.
Combine the topping ingredients together in a bowl, until they are blended. Then, add that on top of the corn.