By Christie Vanover | Published November 17, 2017 | Last Updated February 16, 2023
Disclosure: This recipe was sponsored by Premio Foods.
I love root vegetables because they come in so many beautiful colors and flavors and hold up well on the grill. They also all cook in about the same amount of time, which means you can easily toss together a quick medley.
I’ve made this root vegetable medley extra special by adding grilled Premio Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage, kale and hazelnuts. The kale becomes crispy and adds crunch along with the hazelnuts, and the grilled chicken sausage provides a nice snap, along with added flavor from the sausage’s blend of herbs and spices.
I like cooking this dish on a pellet grill or ceramic cooker because I can create an indirect heat zone across the entire grilling space. If you’re using a gas grill, turn on one burner to create an indirect cook area. If you’re using a kettle grill, push the coals to one side and cook over the side without coals.
My root vegetables of choice are beets, potatoes, carrots and parsnips, but feel free to mix things up, using your favorite blend. Just be sure to cut each veggie around the same size, so they become tender around the same time.
Grilled Chicken Sausage and Kale Root Vegetable Medley
- 1 package Premio Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage
- 1 lb small potatoes
- 1 beet, peeled, chopped
- 1 lb carrots, peeled, chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled, chopped
- 2 cup lacinato kale, cut
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Heat your grill to 400F degrees with an indirect heat zone.
- Toss the potatoes, beet, carrots and parsnip in olive oil and a 1/2-teaspoon of salt and pepper. Place on a rimmed baking sheet on the grill over the indirect heat zone.
- Place the Premio Sweet Italian Chicken Sausages on the grill next to the pan over indirect heat. Cook for 15 minutes. Toss the veggies and turn the sausages and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Remove the sausages from the grill and slice. Add to the pan of root vegetables along with the kale and hazelnuts. Toss.
- Cook for 15 more minutes. Season with a 1/2-teaspoon of salt and pepper and serve.
This estimate was created using an online nutrition calculator
Man that is one yummy dish! I’m making this!❤️
Thanks Lori. Enjoy!