By Christie Vanover | Published August 31, 2022 | Last Updated December 7, 2022
This recipe for air fryer fries turns a bag of frozen french fries into a quick, tasty side dish that you could find at a gourmet burger joint.
Why should I air fry frozen french fries?
When you buy a bag of frozen fries, you’ll see that they come with a variety of instructions on how to cook them in the oven, air fryer, pan or deep fryer.
When you cook them in the oven or air fryer, you don’t have to add extra oil, which makes that cooking process a healthier option.
The advantage of cooking them in an air fryer versus the oven is that they get extra crispy on the outside while still staying soft on the inside.
Substitutions: If you use thicker steak fries, follow the cooking instructions on the package. They will require a little more time in the air crisper.
How to make Parmesan ranch french fries
- STEP ONE: If your frozen fries have ice crystals on them, lay them on a paper towel-lined baking sheet for 5 minutes, so some of that ice melts. If they have too many crystals, the liquid will steam the fries instead of crisp them.
- STEP TWO: In a small bowl, combine the Parmesan cheese, ranch seasoning and granulated garlic.
- STEP THREE: Heat your Ninja Foodi or Woodfire Grill to Air Crisp, 400F degrees, 20 minutes. Place fries in a single layer, filling the air fryer basket and cook the fries for 5 minutes.
- STEP FOUR: Using a spatula, flip the fries, so they cook more evenly. You can also shake the basket, just be sure to grab it with a hot pad or towel. Cook for another 4-5 minutes.
NINJA PRO TIP: If you like extra crispy fries, cook them for 1-2 minutes longer.
- STEP FIVE: Once the fries are golden and crispy, transfer them to a large bowl.
- STEP SIX: Sprinkle the garlic Parmesan ranch seasoning all over the fries and toss to coat.
How to serve garlic Parmesan ranch fries
Transfer your coated fries to a serving bowl. You will likely have excess garlic Parmesan ranch seasoning in the mixing bowl, which is okay.
Sprinkle some right on top as a garnish to make a prettier (and more delicious) presentation.
You can also save the extra garlic parmesan ranch seasoning and use it on garlic bread, grilled chicken and grilled salmon.
Serve with a side of dipping sauces like ketchup, mayonnaise or ranch dressing.
There’s no great way to store leftover garlic parmesan french fries, because they start to lose their crispiness.
If you do have extra that you want to save, you can keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. The best way to bring them back to life is to put them back in the Ninja Grill and Air Crisp them for a few minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
No. Frozen fries are meant to be cooked frozen. If you thaw them, they could end up soggy. If however your fries have a lot of ice crystals on them. Let them rest on a paper towel-lined sheet pan for about 5 minutes to remove the excess moisture.
While cooking in an air fryer is healthier than frying the fries in a pot of oil, frozen french fries do still contain oil. Check the packaging on the side of the brand you buy to see what the calorie and fat content is per serving.
Once you heat your Ninja Grill to 400F degrees, the cooking time will be about 10-12 minutes.
Recipes that go great with fries
Garlic Parmesan Ranch Air Fryer Frozen Fries
- 4 cups frozen shoestring fries
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp ranch seasoning
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- Prep Fries: If the fries have ice crystals, place them on a paper towel-lined sheet pan for five minutes.
- Heat Ninja: Heat your Ninja Grill or other air fryer to 400F on the air crisp setting for 15-20 minutes.
- Air Fry: Place the fries in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Cook for 5 minutes. Flip. Cook for 4-5 more minutes, until crispy.
- Season: Combine the cheese, seasoning and garlic in a small bowl. Place the fries in a large bowl and toss with the seasoning.
This estimate was created using an online nutrition calculator