By Christie Vanover | Published March 18, 2018 | Last Updated March 16, 2023
Asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables. I enjoy the texture, the meatiness and the bright freshness.
Grilling the veggies brings out their vibrant color and keeps them crisp. But cooking the thin stalks on a grill can be a little tricky because they can slip through the grates.
I recommend using a vegetable basket or GrillGrates. Both are more solid than a standard grate with thin holes or slits that allow the heat through.
After grilling for about 4-5 minutes. You’ll toss these beauties in an easy-to-whisk-up lemon-caper vinaigrette. It’s a simple sauce with classic Italian flavors.
If you’ve never had a caper before, it’s about the size of a peppercorn, but it’s actually a small flower bud that is soaked in a brine. When you bite into the capers, they add a subtle pop of saltiness that is balanced with the lemon, garlic and olive oil. The vinaigrette can be made in advance and stored in the fridge.
Asparagus, while beautiful, is always a little clumsy to eat, if the stalks are left whole. For this recipe, cut the grilled asparagus into two-inch pieces. That way your dinner guests won’t have to struggle with a knife to enjoy their veggies. Save that for the meat.
Grilled Asparagus with Lemon-Caper Vinaigrette
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 bunches asparagus
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, capers, mustard and garlic. Whisk in the olive oil, until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut off the bottom one-inch of each stalk and discard. Toss the remaining part of the stalk in olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes, until charred.
- Remove from the grill, and cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Toss in a bowl with the lemon-caper vinaigrette. Top with fresh grated Parmesan cheese.
This estimate was created using an online nutrition calculator
Leave A Comment